Friday, January 04, 2008

For Kitchens Too Small

I tried out making one of my favorite dishes tonight and thought of how nice it would be to get everyone together on a cold January evening and all enjoy some together. (Did I mention we had a lot of leftovers? There's something to be said for reading those "serves #" parts of the recipe.) However, I don't have a kitchen that large... and I can't possibly get around to all of your houses before January ends so I post the recipe here in hopes that you'll make it... possibly even enjoy it... and either way, imagine part of me is there with you at the table. Maybe my elbow.

I have long been a sucker for a good clam chowder. If they've got it on the menu (and it's a place where they make... not open... their clam chowder) I'll order it. I don't go out of my way to get it... I learned a long time ago with pancakes and grape juice that overindulgence can lead to a big mess on the hall floor, and Cheerwine in excess is not much better. I want this to be a favorite for a long time so I treat it accordingly.

Like I said, tonight I got up the nerve to try it out for myself. I know. Watch out, Tim! Don't live too dangerously there. Ooh... making clam chowder... wild man. I told you I liked the stuff. Why would I want to ruin my image of it by screwing it up myself?

I found the recipe at "allrecipes.com" which you find linked on the right===>
and the recipe itself can be found [=] here [=] with the option of entering a "serves #" of your own choosing and have them reprogram the recipe to match. It apparently won some best chowder award somewhere up north a while back. All I can say is it went over well here and I plan on making it again.

Here it is as it serves 8:

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 1/2 large onions, chopped
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 quart shucked clams, with liquid
  • 6 (8 ounce) jars clam juice
  • 1 pound boiling potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 3 cups half-and-half cream
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill weed

  • DIRECTIONS
    1. Melt butter in a large kettle or stock pot over medium heat. Add onions and saute until clear. Stir in flour and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, for 2 to 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
    2. In a separate pot, bring clams and clam juice to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
    3. In a small saucepan, cover peeled potatoes with water. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
    4. Slowly pour hot clam stock into butter/flour mixture while stirring constantly. Continue stirring and slowly bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add cooked potatoes. Mix in half and half, salt and pepper and chopped dill. Heat through but do not boil.
    Eat well.

    Let me know if you'd like a french onion recipe I made on New Years Eve which I was told turned out nicely. I dug it too.

    One last note before I sign off. Simon told me to hang onto this recipe until he is a grown up so he can make it too. But he's not going to make it like I did... he's decided to start with the last step and work toward the top.

    Gotta love that guy.

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Hi Tim,

    It's Heidi, I really needed a good laugh. That was really funny (the grape juice and pancakes really got me). I enjoy your blog.