Thursday, September 18, 2008

Gotta keep it short tonight

I've been up well past midnight with early mornings all this week and it is starting to catch up with me. I can't do it again tonight. 1 quick blog and I'm off to bed.

Mom, I'll get back to you on that 'thing we discussed' (wink wink) this weekend.

Not much going on at the homefront out here... we had C's B'day on Wednesday and are having the party on Saturday (You're all invited) We got him a bike... right in the middle of when Hurricane/TS Sinlaku decided to grace us with her presence. Rain rain rain rain rain... He's cool about it though and I'm committed to teaching him how to ride a 2 wheeler before we leave this island. He was apprehensive, but I reminded his that he'd be 11 by the time we leave and asked if he wanted to still have training wheels... he said he guesses having a two wheeler would be ok.

My brother missed the campaign rally with Joe Biden at the ole' C.O.Wooster. I'm not even sure he ever thinks about that place any more. I should probably call him at some point in my life.

In other news... I don't support patriotism, provided the patriotism you're talking about is the same patriotism Joe Biden is talking about when he says that paying higher taxes is patriotic.
Biden says he and Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama want to "take money and put it back in the pocket of middle-class people."
Now keep in mind that I don't wind up paying taxes about every other year, but I have before, and I didn't feel too terribly patriotic about it, and I don't feel patriotic when someone else is forced to give over their money so the government can waste it, or worse, simply give it to someone else because "It is the fair thing to do." I'm not that type of patriot. If you're talking about being patriotic in the sense of loving your country and wanting great things for her, then count me back in.
"TAKE MONEY and put it back in the pocket of middle-class people."
So I can go buy a candybar, return to the store, take the money, and put it back in my pocket?

You're no Robin Hood, Joe.

To be that, you'd have to steal from the government and give back to those taxed by the government. THAT'd be a modern day Robin Hood... of course he'd be in jail...

NPR Reports: 'Non-Partisan' NOW Endorses Obama

Non-Partisan?

Perhaps this loose definition is how NPR justifies calling themselves non-partisan.

Look, I enjoy Car Talk, Prairie Home Companion, Whattaya Know (on occasion), and a few other shows on there... but their "news" department is more biased than... than... well, more biased than a really biased thing. Turning to semi-to-totally partisan website NewsBusters, Morning Edition reported that:
Rarely does the National Organization For Women endorse a presidential candidate. On Tuesday, the group announced it is endorsing Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama. Kim Gandy, president of NOW, talks with Renee Montagne about why the organization is endorsing Obama.
Pay attention to the highlighted material. According to NPR, NOW rarely endorses a presidential candidate. If by "rarely" they mean once every 4 years, then, yeah, they rarely endorse a candidate for President. But here's the problem, a cursory search of the internet reveals that earlier this year, when she was still in the running, NOW endorsed Hillary Clinton. In 2004, NOW endorsed John Kerry. Presumably, though I haven't done the search, they endorsed Gore in 2000 and so on and so forth.
(Thus endeth the cut and paste from their site)

They also point to a Harris telephone poll which found NPR as one of the most trusted news sources as recently as 2006.

Scary.

Good night everyone.

No comments: