Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire

With such a warm winter (yeah, someone got a sunburn the other week in December) we've been fighting to get into the spirit of fall and started early with Christmas in our house.

Tonight at dinner though, while listening to one of my favorites written by one of my favorites "The Christmas Song" (more widely known as "chestnuts roasting on an open fire" by Mel Torme), I was surprised to hear a line I had not heard in there before... this was mostly due to this being the first time I heard my boys singing along with the "new classic"
"They know that Saaaaannta's on his way
He's loaded lots of poisoned goodies on his sleigh"
Poisoned goodies?

I love these guys.

The other day I happened to remember aloud a couple of songs from my days in their age group... nice "innocent" songs that in today's system would most certainly get you expelled and a psych eval...
"Row row row your boat, gently down the stream, throw your teacher overboard and listen to her scream."

"Tra la la boom de yay, there is no school today. The teacher passed away. We killed her yesterday. We threw her in the bay. She scared the sharks away. Tra la la boom de yay, there is no school today."
Did I or any of my schoolmates go on to be Columbine-istas? No. Okay, so I joined the military... but that's about as close as any of us got. I've got three kids there at the dinner table while I type this playing with their "Missile Toes" followed by "Light Saber Toes" and offering eachother nuclear twizzlers (poisoned goodies, remember?) There's no malice. There's no need for psychiatrists. They're kids. And they're good at it. and as long as they keep eating their broccoli, I'll let'em be.

No comments: