Thursday, September 17, 2009

Laptopping

Though my sister in law hates the verbification of nouns, I'm going to go ahead and throw this one out there. Laptopping... as in, "I'm laptopping it tonight because my wife is on the big computer."

I got a new laptop before my recent trip back to the states. Oh, of course, some of you will say, "Tim, I thought you just got a new laptop last year before you went to Okinawa."

Yeah, I did. I now HATE HP. That thing, though really neat, turned out to be a piece of junk. Many many people were "HP'd" on that model. (I'm not really sure what I mean by 'hp'd', but so long as I'm on my verbifying streak, I figured I'd throw out a random and fictitious slang word as well.)

So I got myself a netbook, an Acer Aspire One. So far I'm happy with it. It's just enough computer without all the bells and whistles to break on me and at less than $300, it was a deal as well. Of course I couldn't leave it so 'plane jane' so I modded it a little.

I went to Target and found this silicone thingie in a wood pattern that you adhere to the back side of the screen and it decorates the computer a bit while adding a little cushy thickness to the computer to protect it from scuffs and bangs and I figured, so long as I'm doing the wood on computer thing, why not go further? So I did. I started easy and got a wooden background for my desktop and wooden icons for all my files so the digital interface is more earthy and appealing while I'm typing away and then I went off to Lowes and got some oak veneer, stained it mahogany to match the desktop and silicone applique and but a facade around the keyboard.

I know, it sounds like a mess... but here's a pic:


You don't have to like it. I do... and I do like it. I'm not sure what about it I like, but I dig it. And I'll be able to identify it from a pile of stolen computers when the day comes.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

How very you, Tim. Glad to see see you blogging & happy.