Thursday, October 06, 2005

Saga of the mini

Ok... background.

I have been wanting a mini cooper for about 10 years now. wanting.. wanting... pestering my wife... non-discretely surfing mini cooper websites in the vicinity of my wife... talking about what we can do with that extra change lying around the house... on and on.

I was looking to get one pre-1970 so I don't have to worry too much about inspection, emission, blah blah blah. I wanted right-hand drive, and I wanted a greater than 1000cc engine.

I found one in SC...for a little under $7,000. UNTIL I GOT THERE!!!!!

This guy, http://www.turkys.com, and by "guy" I mean SCHMUCK!, painted the darn thing, slapped "Coca-Cola" decals across the entire side on both sides of the vehicle. (Which, I might add, his own daughter said was from a bum deal with someone wanting to buy the vehicle and then renigging on the deal.)

Long story short, he actually RAISED the price of the vehicle over $1,000 because HE messed up the vehicle!

I called him BEFORE I went there to make sure everything on his website was representative of his inventory. He said, "Yes."

YES MEANS YES... NOT YES, BUT I MIGHT ARBITRARILY RAISE THE PRICE OF ANYTHING I LIKE!

Bait and switch.

I called him on it... I left him an option of doing the right thing and selling me the vehicle at the advertized price (which, by the way, is STILL THE PRICE ON THE WEBSITE TODAY!), minus my trouble and wasted trip, and to apologize to me, my wife and kids, and my father-in-law, for wasting our weekend going across two states to look for a vehicle and winding up having some guy try to swindle us.

cricket... cricket... nothing.

What a jerk.

t

No comments: