Saturday, November 05, 2005

The Good and the Bad...

Well, I'm back at work these days which means little to no posting on the ole' BLOG during the weekdays and posting only on the weekend for a little while.

This being said, I will be spending most of my weekend reuniting with my family and forgetting about my week . So... if you would like to know about the new tires for my Mini, please click over to my FIL's site located at http://www.garnernc.blogspot.com/ so I don't have to waste precious time re-telling a perfectly told story.

Instead, please enjoy the following rant over a recent absurdity I caught wind of over the past few days.

9th circuit court of "What the @%**"?-
Boy am I glad I don't live in CA, and even more so that my wife and I agree to homeschool. Apparently, there is this school in Palmdale, LosA, CA, that handed out a survey to 7-10 year old students asking them, among other questions, the frequency of "having sex feelings in my body," "touching my private parts too much," and "washing myself because I feel dirty on the inside." The school sent out a form for the parents to sign but made no mention of the sexual nature of the questions to be asked. According to the school, the survey was written by a contracted individual working on a doctoral thesis. (Who hands out doctorate degrees for negligence and traumatizing students?)

The parents were rightfully outraged. Now in all fairness, the school did apologize to the parents for this gross oversight and promised it would not happen again, but for some reason (ooh, I know, I know!) the parents don't believe them.

The biggest outrage, as if that wasn't enough, was the most recent decision by the 9th circuit court of appeals who denied the parent's claim of wrongdoing by stating,
"There is no fundamental right of parents to be the exclusive provider of information regarding sexual matters to their children...Parents have no due process or privacy right to override the determinations of public schools as to the information to which their children will be exposed while enrolled as students,"

"Schools cannot be expected to accommodate the personal, moral or religious concerns of every parent," Judge Stephen Reinhardt wrote for the panel. "Such an obligation would not only contravene the educational mission of the public schools, but also would be impossible to satisfy." THIS from the same court which ruled the pledge of alleigance illegal because a few parents thought the "Under God" reference was the State's attempt to establish a church.

Like all good informercials, "BUT WAIT... THERE'S MORE!"
The court's decision went on to say, "We further hold that a psychological survey is a reasonable state action pursuant to legitimate educational as well as health and welfare interests of the state."

Cool, so no we have states in the psychoanalysis business.

Like I said... Boy am I glad we don't live in CA and we choose to raise our own kids.

No comments: