Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I went to the 5th grade and all I got was this t-shirt...

... and my 1st Amendment Right to free speech squelched.

THIS from Colorado.

Just to cut off the "kids don't have rights until they're 18, and the right to free speech doesn't exist for kids in public schools", read up on Tinker vs. Des Moines

I'd also like to put it out there that I think his t-shirt was ill advised.

HOWEVER, it caused no disturbance. So the other kids would judge him by his clothes. So what? Kids do that anyway. It's a cruel world. It had no curse words, nothing lewd vulgar or obscene. It was a goofy kid with ultra-conservative parents making a political statement which would have been seen and heard by somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-100 non-voting elementary school kids and perhaps 12 faculty members.


School kids don't vote and faculty members don't let a 5th grader's t-shirt alter their presidential preference or party affiliation.

What this boiled down to was the teacher(s) and administration member(s) didn't like the point of view and wanted it crushed.

There's no other reason.

There was no riot, there was no disturbance, there was hardly a murmur.

I'm reminded almost daily how happy I am that my family chooses homeschooling for our children.

No comments: