Saturday, July 04, 2009

Quick question about Independence

Simon asked today if someone could help him get a magnetic dart from behind the recycling bin. I asked why he needed help with that and he replied, "because I'd have to move that too."

I smiled and went back to what I was doing.

But it brought up a question... a bit befitting to the day... can someone be taught independence? Sure they can be compelled to it, but isn't it by its very nature a self-discovery?

Now this post might turn into a not-so-quick-question at this point...

So many people are taught about Independence Day as the day we declared that we weren't going to let the man get us down anymore. We were going to break away from the evil British king dude and tell him to 'stuff it'.

The way I see it, there are four basic categories... Independence, dependence, cooperative, and compulsion.

I'm wondering if we're doing enough as a society to explain what Independence really is and how it applies to our lives today?

Did we really only break away from England so we wouldn't have a king anymore?

Protect your liberty.

Defend your independence.

Celebrate both every day.

No comments: